Friday 14 May 2010

Part 4: Embedding video into your website

Unfortunately i am having trouble getting 'VideoDownloadHelper', an add on for firefox. With this add on i'd be able to download any FLV video straight off of the internet (Youtube).
I was planning on downloading one of my own videos off of youtube (youtube.com/TheDailyCrumb). Then i'd be able to embed it into my own flash player for my front page. Or my moving image pages.

So basically the add on was having trouble installing, some sort of error with my firefox pack. But that did not stop me. I remembered a program that comes with the CS3 pack. The Flash Video Encoder, i presumed this could tranform video or flash to FLV. I was correct!

I 'added' the video file of my latest animation (Final Major Project). As this is the video i want on my front page. (As a test before i move onto doing it for the rest of my 'avi' films.
I've always wanted my own video player, rather than embedding other websites.

Now once you've got your video exported to this new FLV format it is ready to be brought into flash.
But first!
Make sure when you create the new document you choose 'Actionscript 2'. This may or may not be important. But as the flash player would have originally been created for actionscript 2 it would be the best option.


Go to 'Window' and then 'Components'. A new window should pop up with a selection of premade components.
You want to go down to 'video'. Under that select FLV Playback and drag it onto your stage.
You can then resize to whatever dimensions you choose.

Once the player is in your stage select it and go down to 'Parametres'. You'll find this in the tabs above 'Properties'. If you cannot see it look under 'Window'.
You will find a list of different adjustable options. One of them will be 'Content Path'. There will be a little icon next to it.



Then press ok and your video should be in the player!
You can test it out by pressing control enter and watching a preview back. Now i'll be putting on my website. With this i have to make sure both the flash and the video are in the same files on the FTP site.
Fingers crossed it works.


As you can see from above it did not work out to my liking. Basicalli asked others what their views were. They said it was laggy and terrible quality.
A problem i found was that the play button and timeline were not appearing on my website. It looks like i'll continue to use embedded videos for the moment. But it was a good test and I may use this technique for other things. Like posting videos in SWF form.

I'm going to leave it like this for the next few days just to see what other people think. But i am planning to remove and replace as an embedded Vimeo.com video.

My website is at http://www.nathanviney.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment