Monday 9 May 2011

'Cliff' 09/04/2011

Recently i have been working day by day on the last scene I need to produce. This is the airship scene. I am quite proud of some of the simple background i have produced for this.
The workflow has slowed down a little, possibly as I am thinking I am ahead of myself. But work is still being produced each day, i am hoping to complete the scene in the next three days.

On Friday i attented my university class and got a useful critique from my tutors and fellow students.
This critique was on the lines of "It is not clear that Cliff's voice is 'the key'."
Although you do see it occur in the film, i agree it was not clear. So on the spot i worked out something that could help this plot-point be communicated to the audience.

I animated an extra scene involving Cliff at the bottom of the ditch. In editing i will put a faded clip of the witch pulling his voice out of him, Cliff will then slowly touch his neck.
The audience will clearly connect the two together.

I will begin editing this weekend. Although i may put some of the scenes together before then if i finish this airship scene early.

*

To inspire my progress i have also been reading a lot of Peanuts, i love the characters so much it makes me want to jump back into MY own story and tell my characters story through animation.

*

The scene i am doing at the moment includes

  • airship outside and interior, all designed.
  • cliff and para discussion, completed today
  • rain storm working on it
  • lightning and electic shocks not done
  • balloon pop not done
  • Captain animation not done
  • Cloud turning evil not done

I was working on the rain falling today a long with a few other things.
Here is some screenies of my work

The captain is holding a pipe when we first meet him, this was to avoid much arm/hand animation.
This was my first and final test for Para Cat folding his arms.
It was noted by my assistant director that it does look weird for a character with no elbows to suddenly have elbows, but there was no other way of doing it.

I then worked on the animation of Cliff, he is tapping on Para's shoulder throughout the scene trying to get his attention.
They are both leaning on the side of the airship.
As a final attempt to get Para Cat's attention Cliff does this.

As you can see from the picture i have put a dark gradiant over the top to add a darker mood, as well as a grey sky and rain drops.

*


Skype is a very useful program for communicating online.
Over the course of film making i have spoken in depth with various people over skype.
I have constantly asked advice of my girlfriend and my fellow animators.
Skype has a brilliantly system where the other people on the call can see your screen, and what you are working on, giving advice and suggestion.

I have also used it to communicate with my musician to work through the animatic.


Cliff and the End of the Rainbow Production Blog

Nathan Viney

No comments:

Post a Comment